General terms of sale
Passengers may, at the time of their journey, carry objects or personal effects, such as clothes, linens, toiletries, books, sports articles, assigned to a purpose whilst travelling:
- either as hand luggage that they are allowed to take with them for free in passenger cars,
- or as checked baggage that they entrust to SNCF as a paying agent in the context of the Luggage Home Delivery service.
Objects or effects whose transport constitutes a commercial operation and those intended for sale are not allowed. If such are found, the traveller will be required to pay an amount equal to the price which results from the application of the Geodis General Transit Tariff in force on the date of transport.
Group luggage is subject to the provisions in Article 3.3.10 Baggage – Chapter 3. Volume 2 Commercial Rates – Tariff Range.
2. Acceptance of hand luggage
Every item of luggage in the train must be able to be identified as belonging to a traveller. It must be clearly labelled and bear the first and last name of the passenger in accordance with the provisions of Decree No. 2016-541 of May 3, 2016. Any unidentified object is considered suspect and may be destroyed by the competent services. Persons who do not fulfil this obligation are liable to a fine to the value of amount which appears in the Price List, access to trains being otherwise prohibited.
For the comfort and safety of all during your trip, only hand luggage that you can carry and position easily and safely with consideration for other travellers, their luggage, or yourself, in the dedicated areas, are allowed on board trains.
Suitcases, travel bags and rucksacks are accepted as hand luggage. The packaging, closure, volume and weight of these should allow carriage and placement without difficulty or risk to the safety of passengers or the risk of injury, damage, in the spaces provided for luggage in passenger cars. This is subject to the prohibitions and limitations laid down by Decree No 2016-541 of 3 May 2016 on safety and the rules of conduct in rail or guided transport. In particular, please do not in any way impede movement in the aisles or access to compartments and carriages with excessively bulky or numerous luggage items.
Also accepted as hand luggage under the same conditions as above and at the rate of one object per traveller in all trains, including TGV are:
- bicycles, provided that they are folded or that their wheels are disassembled, and that they are contained in covers of not more than 1.20 m x 0.90 m; special provisions may, however, be provided for groups;
- skis, folded prams/pushchairs;
- wakeboards in a bag not exceeding 1.20 m x 0.90 m;
- foldable wheelchairs for persons with reduced mobility; these persons, whether or not they remain in their wheelchairs during the trip, are authorised to keep them with them on all trains and TGVs, with the exception of the INTERCITÉS de Nuit due to aisles and platforms being too narrow to allow the movement of the chair, and not permitting the storage of an unfolded chair.
In certain designated trains that have a baggage car, also accepted as hand luggage, at the rate of one object per passenger, are:
- unfolded, assembled and unpackaged bicycles ;
- skis, baby strollers and mono-skis.
These objects are accepted subject to compliance with the above provisions, as well as specific conditions defined locally by each station. The loading of the above-mentioned objects in the baggage car of designated trains is only allowed within the limits of the available space. The loading and unloading operations are carried out by the travellers, and is their full responsibility. The luggage remains in the exclusive custody of the traveller, even when it is placed in areas provided for this purpose, in the end or in the middle of the car.
3. Luggage Home Delivery Service
SNCF has developed the Luggage Home Delivery Service, which is intended for individual travellers with a ticket and wishing to have their luggage transported to their destination without assuming the physical constraints thereof. SNCF is committed through this service to take care of the luggage of clients where and when they wish and deliver them to the address of their choice, from and to the French mainland. The service is also available for trips to or from Germany, Belgium and Luxembourg.
Only luggage for which the packing, volume and weight allow for handling and fast transport without difficulty or risk of damage by agents in charge of operating the service, is permitted for users of this service.
The driver is obliged to collect and deliver luggage to the doorstep of your building. Deliveries to high floors are still possible at the professional discretion of the delivery driver should there be a lift allowing them to be transported and if the number of bags tallies with that allowed for each individual driver.
The supply of the Service is exclusively reserved for persons who have purchased SNCF TGV, INTERCITÉS and iDTGV tickets with compulsory reservation – regardless of the fare applied, with the exception of “Group” fares.
Only the following are accepted for registration:
- the so-called “ordinary” baggage:
– Baggage of which the sum of the 3 dimensions of each piece of ordinary luggage must not exceed 2.50 m. Their weight must not exceed 25 kg altogether. Suitcases, soft bags, backpacks, trunks equipped with 2 handles, skis and snowboards under cover (each cover to hold a maximum of 2 pairs of skis or one snowboard), packaged folded pushchairs and packaged foldable car seats.
- “Bulky” items:
Bulky baggage is luggage whose sum of 3 dimensions exceeds 2.50 m, but whose combined weight does not exceed 25 kg.
– baby carriages, folded pushchairs and mono-ski boards of less than 3 m in height, provided that they are packaged by the client, the packaging must completely cover the object and be sufficiently resistant and effective to prevent risk of damage and loss during transport.
- wheelchairs: non-motorised, weighing less than 60 kg.
It is expressly agreed that the total value of each piece of luggage and its contents must in no case exceed 500 euros. Therefore the customer agrees to insure the value of each piece of luggage before giving it to the carrier for removal.
Each client may benefit from the Service for the transport of 10 “ordinary” pieces of Luggage and/or 10 “Bulk” pieces of Luggage maximum (international journeys are limited to three “ordinary” luggage items).
“Ordinary” luggage as well as “bulky” luggage, must have a label attached that cannot come loose during transport. It must legibly show the name, address and telephone number of the sender and the recipient. It is further recommended that passengers attach an identity tag to each piece of luggage.
Moreover, at no time can these items be stored as permitted Baggage:
- medical prostheses, pacemakers or medications,
- securities, currency documents as well as coins, cheques, payment cards, and marketable securities, precious metals, jewellery, precious stones and pearls, identity papers and any other valuable,
- items or effects such that their transport implies a commercial operation and those destined for sale,
- the substances listed in the Ordinance on the Transport of Dangerous Goods by Rail (RID Order) in force, weapons of all categories and the corresponding ammunition,
- motor vehicles, car accessories, gardening equipment, tools, and any objects containing liquids, furniture, household appliances, computer equipment and accessories, hi-fi equipment, musical instruments,
- perishable food and live animals.
Only the transport of Luggage to and from continental France, as well as the islands of Ré, Noirmoutier and Oléron, which are accessible by road, may be carried out within the framework of the Service. This service is also available to Germany, Belgium and Luxembourg only on standard baggage (up to 3 bags).
Each customer may benefit from the Service for the transport of 30 “ordinary” Luggage and/or 10 “Bulk” Luggage items maximum.
For each of them, a sum is collected, the amount of which appears in the Price Book. The payment for the luggage service is made at the time of booking.
The service can be bought:
- on the Internet (https://bagages.sncf.com).
- at the ticket booth of a train station or in an SNCF shop for the purchase of the service. Then the appointment is made either by calling the 3635 # 41 or saying “Baggage” (0.40 euros/min TTC + cost of call), or we shall contact you, thanks to the “customer reminder” form offered at the time of the sale by sellers.
- by phone at 3635 # 41 or say “Baggage” (0.40 euros / min including tax + call cost), for purchase and making appointments.
- and from SNCF accredited travel agencies.
In all cases, you must submit the file reference (DV) on the client ticket(s).
When picking up baggage, the driver carrying the baggage checks the conformity of the number and type of baggage with the number of baggage shown on the pick-up slip, drawn up in accordance with the voucher given to the customer, and the information provided by the client at the time the appointment was made under the conditions stipulated in article 5. For this reason, only the baggage mentioned on the carrier’s loading bill will be dealt with. The collection slip signed by the customer shows the luggage to be handled.
7. Collection and Delivery
Delivery cannot be made more than 7 calendar days after luggage collection.
The appointment for the collection and delivery of baggage must be made either at 3635 # 41, or say “Baggage” (0.40 euros / min TTC + cost of call) during its hours of service ( Monday to Saturday from 8am to 7pm). This is for all purchases made from 3635 (non-premium rate number) and for all orders made in stations and shops either on the Internet (https://bagages.sncf.com), for a purchase made on the Internet, or with approved travel agencies during the SNCF purchase (projected date of opening of the service in March 2014). Appointments must be registered no later than noon (12 pm) the day before the day the customer wishes to collect the luggage. It is the responsibility of the client to make an appointment for the collection of all of his luggage for the initial order of the Service, but also, where appropriate, after any addition of luggage to his initial order.
For all services performed at home, the pick-up and delivery of luggage is done at the addresses provided by the customer.
It is therefore the sole responsibility of the customer to provide precise addresses for the pick-up and delivery of luggage when making an appointment and to immediately inform SNCF, by calling 3635 # 41 or saying “Baggage” ( 0,40 euros / min incl. VAT + call cost) with any modification that could affect them (within the limits provided for in article 9), in order to benefit from the Service.
Ordinary baggage can also be dropped off or collected:
– in a France Express partner agency (110 agencies in France).
These different drop-off points are only available for purchases made on the Internet or 36 35 (€ 0.40 / min + call cost).
Deposits at France Express must be made before 4 pm the day before the date chosen for the transport of your luggage.
Luggage that must be collected at France Express is only available to customers as of the day following the scheduled delivery date in these collection points.
In addition, for anyone returning to another country after the delivery of their luggage, it is better to plan for delivery 48 hours before departure. In the event of a delay of less than 48 hours, the costs of re-routing to the country of destination will not be covered by SNCF.
Luggage Collection Conditions
Luggage is removed from Monday to Friday from 8 am to 7 pm, except holidays and days of traffic ban imposed by the competent authorities, the customer can choose between the morning from 8 am to 1 pm or the afternoon from 1 pm to 5 pm.
The exchange voucher, printed at home or on a train ticket, must be handed to the driver when the luggage is collected.
Luggage delivery conditions
Luggage delivery takes place during the period of a half-day (except Sundays, holidays and days of prohibition of traffic movement imposed by external powers):
– Monday to Friday from 8 am to 1 pm or from 1 pm to 5 pm,
– Saturday from 8 am to 1 pm.
8. Price of the service
For each item transported, a sum is collected, the amount of which appears in the Price Book.
9. Cancellation and modification of order
Any modification, cancellation or exchange of the customer’s order must be made from Monday to Friday at the latest before 12:00 pm (noon) the day before the collection of luggage (except Saturday, Sunday and holidays), by telephone on 3635 (number not surcharged) or on our website (https://bagages.sncf.com) for purchases made in train stations and shops. For all purchases made from a SNCF authorised travel agency, any modification, cancellation or exchange of the order must be made from the authorised travel agency from Monday to Friday at the latest before 12:00 pm (noon) the day before luggage collection (except Saturday, Sunday and public holidays).
In cases where baggage pick-up must be on a Monday, the order may be modified, cancelled or exchanged until the preceding Friday before 12:00 pm.
After that, no amendment, cancellation or exchange will be possible (this includes changing the luggage collection or delivery point).
10.1. Hand Luggage
In accordance with Articles 33 and 34 of Annexe I of the European Regulation 1371/2007, in case of death or injury of the traveller, SNCF is liable for the damage resulting from the total or partial loss of the damage of the objects that the traveller was carrying with him as hand luggage up to a value of 1,400 SDR (€ 1,600) for each traveller.
In accordance with Article 33 of Annexe I of the European Regulation 1371/2007, SNCF assumes no liability for hand luggage, which remains in the exclusive custody of the traveller even when placed in areas provided for this purpose, in the end or in the middle of the car, except to report the proof of a damage regarding it. If such proof is reported, the amount of compensation to be paid by SNCF will not exceed 360 €.
Furthermore, SNCF is only responsible for luggage and parcels lost in the railways in such a case of proven fault. If such proof is reported, the amount of compensation to be paid by SNCF will not exceed 360 €.
10.2. Luggage delivery
SNCF implements all the measures necessary to ensure the provision of the Service under optimal conditions. The Organiser cannot be held in any way responsible for its partners’ failure to provide or poor provision of their services or for any facts attributable either to the client or to unexpected, insurmountable problems with third parties not involved in the contract. More generally, if SNCF’s liability were incurred, the latter could in no way agree to pay any compensation for indirect damages; in the case of direct damages, and subject to the following paragraph, no compensation shall be paid if the existence and/or the damage is not established.
However, even in the absence of proof of damage, the compensation fixed by Regulation No 1371/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2007 shall be applied in a unit of account called “Special drawing rights,” or “SDR “.
On the date of entry into force of these General Conditions, the amount of compensation provided for in the Regulation, after conversion into euros, is as follows:
– in the event of loss: 360 € per luggage item;
– in the event of damage to the Luggage: 25 € per missing kilogram (calculated on the basis of small damaged parts, wheels, handle …, the compensation will be fixed according to the size of the luggage being a small luggage item (50 centimetres) = 1 kg, a medium luggage item (60 centimetres) = 2 kg and a large luggage item (more than 70 centimetres) = 3 kg)
– in case of late delivery: 4 € per luggage item, for each 24-hour period of lateness for a maximum of 14 days.
These amounts may be adjusted, if necessary, when the General Conditions are reissued.
It is expressly agreed that the total value of each piece of luggage and its contents must in no case exceed 500 euros. Therefore the customer agrees to insure the value of each piece of luggage before giving it to the carrier for removal.
Luggage check at pick-up and delivery.
During the delivery of the luggage, the customer expressly agrees to check the number, condition and contents of the luggage. The delivery note must be dated, signed and must mention anomalies, damage or deterioration identified (missing or excess luggage, damage, etc.). The problems on the delivery ticket must be precise and clear.
In addition, the customer must report, by registered letter addressed to the address appearing in article 10 within 10 days (not including holidays) following the delivery, any anomaly, damage or deterioration of the luggage that they have noticed.
10.3. Additional Luggage insurance
An additional insurance is offered by our partner Mondial Assistance on the Luggage Home Delivery Service.
Insurance – for whom?
People who have purchased a “Luggage Home Delivery Service” from SNCF and who request it at the latest the day before the baggage removal request.
The guarantees of this contract, with the exception of assistance guarantees, are governed by the Insurance Code.
The contract consists of these General Conditions, supplemented by your Special Conditions.
These guarantees apply during the carriage of the luggage by the SNCF transport provider as part of the Domestic Baggage Service sold by SNCF, as soon as the baggage is entrusted to them and until delivery to the address indicated at the time of purchase of the service.
Guarantees take effect the next day at noon after the payment of the premium.
They stop as soon as you have reached your home, for round trips, or your destination, for one-way trips and, at the latest, as soon as you have collected your luggage.
Guarantees are not cumulative.
THE PURPOSE OF THE GUARANTEE
- Reimbursement of essential goods
In the event of a delay of more than 24 hours in the delivery of your luggage to your place of stay, we will reimburse you, on presentation of the supporting documents and within the limit of the ceiling appearing in the table of the amounts of guarantees and the deductibles, the expenses which you have incurred for the purchase of essential goods.
- Reimbursement of rental of sports and leisure equipment.
In the event of a delay of more than 24 hours in the delivery of your luggage to the place where you are staying, we will reimburse you, on presentation of the supporting documents and within the limit of the ceiling appearing in the table of the amounts of guarantees and the deductibles, the expenses which you have incurred for the rental of sports and leisure equipment.
- The reimbursement of the rental of equipment for children.
In the event of a delay of more than 24 hours in the delivery of your luggage to your place of stay, we will reimburse you, on presentation of the supporting documents and within the limit of the ceiling appearing in the table of the amounts of guarantees and the deductibles, the expenses which you have exhibits for the rental of child equipment, such as pushchairs or baby gates.
- Within the limits indicated in the table of the amounts of guarantees and deductibles, the loss, theft or partial or total destruction of the luggage during its transport by the SNCF transport provider, in execution of the contract “Luggage Service at Home” underwritten by SNCF.
Table of guarantees
- For delays greater than 24 hours and on presentation of evidence, we will reimburse you up to 150€ of the value of basic necessities and up to 350€ on the hire of sports and leisure equipment, as well as hiring equipment for children.
- In case of damage to luggage, compensation with proof of up to 500€.
– Small luggage : SNCF package of 25 € + Supplemental insurance of up to 475 €*
– Medium luggage: SNCF package of 50 € + Supplemental insurance of up to 450 € *
– Large luggage: – SNCF package of 75 € + Extra insurance of up to 425 €
- In case of loss, Extra Insurance is associated with the SNCF package, allowing you to be compensated, upon proof, up to 500 € (360 € package SNCF + 140 € Extra insurance package).
WHAT YOU MUST DO IN CASE OF LOSS
In order to ease the process in case of incident or loss, SNCF has delegated its indemnity to Mondial Assistance. (Only for customers who have subscribed to Additional Insurance.)
- In case of delay in the delivery of your luggage to the place where you are staying by the transport provider of SNCF: you must have a report made by the appropriate qualified personnel of this company.
- In case of partial or total loss or destruction of your luggage by the SNCF transport provider: you must have a report made by the qualified personnel of this company.
In all cases, you must:
- take all measures likely to limit the consequences of the incident;
- Declare the incident, by registered letter, within five working days of when you know about it, except fortuitous event or force majeure;
In the event of failure to comply with the declaration deadline, if we suffer prejudice as a result of the late declaration, you lose all right to compensation;
- Contact us:
Directly on our website: https://declaration-sinistre.mondial-assistance. fr or by phone at 01 42 99 03 95 from Monday to Friday, from 9 am to 6 pm or by fax at 01 42 99 03 25.
We will provide you with the necessary information to create a file and you will need to send us the documents that support your request, including:
- the insurance contract or its photocopy,
- the statement drawn up by the SNCF transport provider,
- original bills for the purchase of sports and leisure equipment arriving late,
- the rental bills,
- and any other proof at our request.
EXCLUSIONS OF WARRANTY
In addition to the exclusions common to all guarantees, also excluded are:
- damage resulting from an earthquake, volcanic eruption, tidal wave or other cataclysm, flood, unless these events are declared natural disaster by interministerial decree,
- professional materials, representative collections, merchandise, medical equipment and medicines, perishable goods, wines and spirits, cigarettes, cigars and tobacco;
- boats, car accessories, caravans, caravan furnishings, campers or boats;
- loss, theft, partial or total destruction of baggage, following the decision of an administrative authority or the prohibition to transport certain items,
- the destruction resulting from the inherent defect of the insured thing, from its normal wear and tear or from the pouring of liquids, fatty, colouring or corrosive substances forming part of the insured luggage;
- the destruction of pottery and objects made of glass, porcelain, marble;
- damage resulting from scratches or scrapes;
- damage resulting from forgetting the equipment;
- cases, boxes, bags, satchels or covers containing sports or leisure equipment;
- game console accessories;
- glasses (glasses and frames), contact lenses, prostheses and appliances of any kind;
11. Found objects
Items found in railway stations and on trains, except for dangerous and perishable goods, are kept in the stations at the Lost Property Office for one month. They are returned to their owner upon presentation of a piece of ID and payment of a restitution tax corresponding to the management fees, the amount of which appears in the Price Book.
12. Data privacy
The data collected by the Luggage Home Delivery service are kept for the duration of the service, and for 12 months from the end of the transport service, for any reason whatsoever.
Some of this data may be archived to establish proof of a right or contract or where required by law or regulation. Access to the archived data will be strictly reserved for the relevant services of Luggage Home Delivery Services. These data may be archived only for the time necessary to fulfil these legal or regulatory obligations or for a period not exceeding the statutory limitation period.